EarthEcho Academy FAQs
What is the EarthEcho Academy?
The EarthEcho Academy is a new virtual learning space developed to provide online courses for teacher professional learning with access to fully remote, asynchronous environmental education modules for students featuring some of our most popular NGSS-aligned classroom resources like EarthEcho Expedition: Into the Dead Zone.
Does this cost anything?
There is no cost to participate.
Who is eligible?
While the inaugural course is offered at no charge to any public middle school teacher, limited grant support of $400 is available to support teachers in the greater Los Angeles, Miami, and Washington DC communities. This funding is earmarked to provide support for teachers serving the frontline communities facing the biggest impacts of environmental degradation.
What is the timeline for teachers who participate?
Our inaugural course will open on January 25 and will close March on 12, 2021. There are asynchronous modules for teachers to complete as well as four Zoom sessions (with recordings available).
What are the learning objectives?
As a result of this course teachers will:
- Explore the engineering design process within STEM learning
- Understand adventure learning and the value of this approach in STEM classrooms
- Amplify the importance of specific “wicked” environmental issues to be incorporated in the classroom
- Incorporate foundation principles of environmental justice within student learning experiences
- Lead instruction about dead zones and how humans contribute to this global problem
- Guide students in virtual coursework on this topic
- Utilize EarthEcho’s multimedia Expedition resources with students in and out of the classroom (virtually)
- Access two virtual modules for students hosted in Moodle that include ready to use digital video content, activities, and assessment tools
Standards Addressed Include:
ESS2. C The roles of water in Earth's surface processes
ESS3.A Natural resources
ESS3.C Human impacts on Earth systems
ESS3.D Global climate change
PS1.A Structure and Properties of Matter
What are other ways I can connect with EarthEcho International?
Still have questions? Please direct additional questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.